SDG&E Warns Customers About SDG&E Imposter
Below is a notice from SDG&E about a very active scam with people posing as SDG&E workers and luring people out of their homes so that a partner in crime can go in the house and steal items.
A letter from SDG&E:
We have seen a surge recently in scams where individuals are posing as SDG&E. Please help us share the messages about how customers can recognize the signs of these scams and protect themselves.
Here are some tips to help customers identify a SDG&E employee:
• Make sure that everyone in question is wearing a SDG&E-marked uniform.
• Ask any SDG&E employee to display a company identification card.
• Ensure that they have arrived in a SDG&E-marked company vehicle.
• Never leave the house if asked; SDG&E does not ask customers to leave your house unattended.
• Note: SDG&E often hires contractors to complete smart meter work or provide information on energy efficiency programs; however contractors will never ask customers to leave their home for any reason and also carry proper identification.
• If you have not called to request service or are not expecting a visit from SDG&E, please make sure proper identification is requested. If you are suspicious, please call SDG&E at 800-411-7343 to ensure that work is currently being conducted in your area